Sunday, April 02, 2006

Wiener-Rubenstein Memorial Day 2

Today, I went 1-1 and ended up with 3 points. I tied for first place Expert and won a $18.75 prize.

In Round 4, I was Black against ten-year-old Atulya Shetty. We followed a line in the King's Indian that we played against each other a week ago in our training game. Atulya revealed his home preparation by deviating with 14. Rc2! A few moves later, I miscalculated.



In this position, I thought that 15...Ncxe4 would win a pawn outright, since the Knight is pinned to the Rook, so that's what I played. However, White played 16. Nxe4! Rxc2 17. Bg5! and now, Black must lose a piece for the Exchange that he just won. My miscalculation was not fatal though. The material count remained the same (Black got a rook and a pawn for two pieces).

Later in the game, I was about to take control of the center with my pawns.



However, White played 28. Bf5! winning the Exchange. I did not put up much resistance after this, probably because I was in time pressure. I resigned on move 36. 1-0

In Round 5, I was White against John Robertson. I played the Keres Attack against his Scheveningen. The game was going along okay, nothing extraordinary.



In this position, White is up a pawn, but Black played 29...Ba5! A tough move to meet in time trouble. I played 30. Nc3 d4 31. Re4. During the game, I was wondering if 30...Rab8 was any good, but now I see 31.Rc1 saving everything. Anyway, I remained a pawn up and won on time in a favorable Rook endgame. 1-0

3 comments:

Clint Prong said...

So who did you tie with for the expert prize?

Randy W. Ho said...

There was a four-way tie for the expert prize. Morgan Everett, Dmitriy Obukhov, Aaron Kahn, and I each had 3 points.

John Brooks and James Canty tied for 1st with 4.5. Then, Derek Li and Ben Finegold had 4. There were non-expert players with 3, such as Kelly Finegold, Atulya Shetty, and Reginald Hammond. I think those are all with 3. I'm saying all of this off the top of my head.

Randy W. Ho said...

Oops, I meant Richard Mosley, not Reginald Hammond. Here is the link to the official crosstable:
http://uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200604029881-12744052